Skip to main content

The horned tomato worm

To conclude our entomology unit and in case you haven't seen one we thought this would also make a great pet. The kids found it and we put it in the first available Styrofoam cup with a lid. We were busy at the time so Dave cut a hole in the lid and put it on top of the fridge. When I got up the next morning, little "MacGyver" had escaped, launched himself off the top of the fridge and was stuck climbing up my teaching closet door. The journey was a long one. I'm just glad 1) I saw it and was not caught by surprise and 2) that I didn't squish it by stepping on it in the middle of the night. They are quite juicy you know. We researched it and found out to put dirt in the container. It will bury itself and make a chrysalis. Then next spring we should have a nice big hawk moth!


Larger than needed hole in my opinion


Stuck on the door


Compared to Duke's hand


Juicy sucker

Just add dirt


and a juicy tomato.......

Stay tuned til spring........